Continuous milling or mechanical machining is another manufacturing technology that we offer to our clients. This production method can be advantageous in two separate scenarios, namely to:
- Create a special profile from scratch
- rework an existing sections by adjusting dimensions and tolerances, sharpening edges and corners, creating deep grooves and slots, etc.
Like with hot rolling, cold drawing or cold rolling, we are able to produce 100% machined profiles in numerous grades of stainless steel and carbon steel.
Benefits of Milling
Milling is a very flexibility production technology. It is suitable to manufacture fully custom profile shapes and complex geometries such as undercuts, deep slits and grooves. It can be used for further processing of already manufactured products or to create a special profile from scratch according to the customer’s technical drawing.
Machining is a highly precise manufacturing technology. Dimensional tolerances are tighter than those of hot rolled profiles and similar to cold drawn profiles. Specifically, the maximum tolerance on thickness is only ± 0.02mm.
Short delivery times
Another benefit of continuous milling is shorter delivery times as compared to cold drawn or rolled profiles, where the processing time can take several months.
When to choose machined profiles
Milling is a more economical option compared to conventional steel profile production technologies thanks to the zero tooling costs (or minimal). This production method might be the best choice when you need small quantities for prototypes:
- When you need a small test quantity or a profile sample on which you can run various tests to assess the quality functionality of the section before going ahead with a larger bulk order.
- When your overall order volume across the year is under 1’000kg.
- Tight dimensional tolerances
- Order quantity: 50 kg to 1’000 kg
- Min order quantity: 2 bars
- Up to 6m length
- Custom design or special shape
- Prototype or test quantities
- Small to mid size profiles
- Solid steel sections
- Very good surface finish